Sunday, February 7, 2010

Jamtiguan Anthems

I was talking to the fam' and my sis informed me about the fact that Jamaicans stress the I in Jamaica when singing the Anthem. So since I knew the Anthem I looked it up and then I noticed that it was very Religion based.

Eternal Father, Bless our Land,
Guard us with thy mighty hand,
Keep us free from evil powers,
Be our light through countless hours,
To our leaders, great defender,
Grant true wisdom from above,
Justice, truth be ours forever,
Jamaica, land we love,
Jamaica, Jamaica, Jamaica, land we love

Teach us true respect for all,
Stir response to duty's call,
Strengthen us the weak to cherish,
Give us vision lest we perish,
Knowledge send us Heavenly Father,
Grant true wisdom from above,
Justice, truth be ours forever,
Jamaica, land we love,
Jamaica, Jamaica, Jamaica, land we love


Then I looked at Antigua and Barbuda's anthem and I noticed it covers all the bases, Religion, War, and Comradeship. But when we sing it we mostly focus on the first Stanza which focuses on the Comradeship.

LYRICS BY - Novelle Hamilton Richards.

MUSIC BY - Walter P. Chambers.

Fair Antigua and Barbuda
We thy sons and daughters stand,
Strong and firm in peace or danger
To safe guard our native land.
We commit ourselves to building
A true nation brave and free.
Ever striving ever seeking
Dwell in love and unity.
Raise the standard! Raise it boldly!
Answer now to duty's call
To the service of thy country,
Sparing nothing, giving all;
Gird your loins and join the battle
'Gainst fear, hate and poverty,
Each endeavouring, all achieving,
Live in peace where man is free.
God of nations, let Thy blessings
Fall upon this land of ours;
Rain and sunshine ever sending,
Fill her fields with crops and flowers;
We her children do implore Thee,
Give us strength, faith, loyalty,
Never failing, all enduring
To defend her liberty.

You might also be wondering why I know the Jamaican Anthem when I am Antiguan, well I am half Jamaican thus making me Jamtiguan!!!! ^_^


OXXO

Mayeshah!!

No comments: